With the default installation, for the default store, the parent categories are displayed at two places
- Top menu of the home page
- Side navigation on category pages
If customers have been facilitated to view different products within a category, it allows the customer to compare the similarities and differences between products to make the most informed purchase. When admin is adding product to the store, a product category has to be selected. Thus it is always a good idea to add these categories before adding products.
To access the category page in the admin, click Catalog >> Product Category and the user would be landed on to category grid view.
If the admin wants to add new categories for the store instead of categories added during install, they could easily be deleted.
When a sub category is added to the system under a category, it would be displayed on the grid under the parent with spaces equal to the level of the subcategory. For example in the above picture, Test sub category is displayed under Desktops with one space.
To create a category, simply click on Create button on the grid view. The create screen is presented with the following key fields
- Data Category – This associates the category to the store.
- Parent – Parent category under which the category falls.
- Meta Keywords – If this is populated, on loading the category page in the front end, these keywords would be used as meta keyword for the page instead of default stores keywords
- Meta Description – If this is populated, on loading the category page in the front end, this description would be used as meta description for the page instead of default stores description
- Status – This could be either active or inactive
- Code – Code for the product category
- Display in Top Menu – If this is selected the category would be displayed in the top menu in the front end.
On the update screen, a dropdown would be displayed which can be used to switch between different product categories.
Other important actions
- Bulk Edit – The user can perform bulk edit of the categories. In the default installation, only bulk update of status is allowed.
- Bulk Delete – The user can bulk delete the product categories.
- View Category – The user can view the category details in both modal and non modal ways. In case of non modal, a browse dropdown similar to update screen would be displayed to the user to switch between different categories